Chanchal is a medical herbalist and has been in clinical practice for 35 years with a specialty in holistic oncology. She is the author of Fibromyalgia: A Journey towards Healing and her latest book Holistic Cancer Care: An Herbal Approach to Preventing Cancer, Helping Patients Thrive during Treatment, and Minimizing the Risk of Recurrence, which launches in April 2023.
She held the faculty chair in Botanical Medicine at the Boucher Institute of Naturopathic Medicine in New Westminster 2004-2016. She serves on the board of advisors of Dominion Herbal College in Burnaby, on the editorial board of Medical Herbalism clinical newsletter and she publishes widely in professional journals and lectures internationally on medical herbalism, nutrition and health.
Chanchal is also a certified Shinrin Yoku (forest bathing) practitioner, a certified Master Gardener and a certified Horticulture Therapist. Chanchal lives on Vancouver Island, British Columbia where she and her husband manage Innisfree Farm and Botanic Garden, a 7 acre internationally registered botanic garden specializing in food and medicine plants, and where they host apprenticeships in sustainable food production and herbal medicine. The farm also hosts Gardens without Borders, a federally registered not-for-profit society established to run the botanic garden and provide horticulture therapy.
In this discussion, Chanchal offers a glimpse into some of the strategies she adopts when treating patients in clinic, using herb-based and horticulture therapies in conjunction with conventional treatments. Drawing from decades of clinical experience helping patients recover from cancer, Chanchal offers insight into her processes and what she recommends to other practitioners in her mentor role.
Chanchal talks on:
- Empowering people with herbalism to make it accessible.
- Her processes model for managing care - the pyramid prescribing principle and triune model.
- Plausability testing to validate reasoning and guide treatment.
- Person-centred treatment and customising plans for paitients.
- Engaging patients with herbal rituals to give a semblance of control.
- The importance of educating patients to be proactive and take responsibility.
- Her favourite foundation, antigen and dietary herbs,
- Balancing biochemistry with energetic systems.
You can order Chanchal’s book Holistic Cancer Care: A Herbal Approach to Preventing Cancer, Helping Patients Thrive During Treatment, and Minimizing the Risk of Recurrence from her website: https://chanchalcabrera.com/product/holistic-cancer-care/